Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bringing Things to Conclusion

Even though I know exactly what I want to talk about, it's pretty hard for me to really come up with the words I want to use, the energy to type it. Might be because I threw 25,000 words together in under 24 hours yesterday, but it was my own fault that I let it get to the point where I had to do that in the first place....

Regardless, I cleared NaNoWriMo for the first time ever. Official final word count for The Summoning: Part One was 50,363 words, and I'm still a little surprised that I got it done. On the other hand, I've always been a reasonably effective procrastinator...put a deadline off long enough, and the pressure inspires me. I think I would have been prouder of myself if I'd actually done it daily like I was supposed to, or at least regularly instead of pounding out 30,000 words in 2 days. Oh well, now begins the process that is National Novel Editing Month, hehe...I'm actually scared to read it. All the plot holes and character inconsistencies are going to drive me nuts.

Things here in California are starting to wind down, and though I'm still having a great time, I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to make the transition to life after the DCP. I'd like to be able to spend a couple weeks at home at least before starting work and whatnot out here if I decide to stick around, but I just don't know how the finances and whatnot are going to work out. Many decisions have to be made, and I'm trying to really make solid judgment calls and experience what I can.

Speaking of experiences, I went into Beverly Hills again today to meet with Chris Carle, the Entertainment Editorial Director for IGN.com. We ate at a place called The Spanish Kitchen, a rather classy establishment on La Cienega Boulevard. I took a video to post up, but my new Flip camera is being uncooperative and not letting me take my videos over to my laptop. Hopefully after some working I'll be able to get the thing to sync and I'll show you a little bit of Beverly Hills!

Anyway, I'm going to bring this blog to conclusion early tonight. I've got a tour of the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank tomorrow, and I've gotta be up bright and early to get there! Have a good night, everyone!

-Josh

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, again! I hope this is the first of many successful NaNoWriMos for you. I've been slowly working through the draft because I haven't had much free time. I've really enjoyed what I've read so far.

    If the flip starts cooperating please do post the video!

    ReplyDelete